Saturday, March 04, 2006

Prayer Changes Things?


I had a dream the other night and I saw the most beautiful castle. There was also the most incredible sunset I'd ever seen. I told Roger that I hoped God wasn't giving me a preview of Heaven that I was going to see that day:) Well, that was another day and here I am on this wretched earth still:) I really believe we have a beautiful world, {Listen to "Beautiful World" by G.S. Megaphone} Recently I witnessed the fraility of life. I was second upon the scene of an accident which the devastation of the vehicle left me certain someone was killed. Later I learned that a 16 year old was thrown from the truck. She died two days later from internal injuries. I happened upon this accident by chance since I missed my regular turn. I did not respond as I would have liked. I froze in my car, willing myself to get out but I never. I did pray. I knew the first car there was a fireman and a first responder. A friend said that the fireman was there for the physical need and I was there to pray. I did not know who or what to pray for. I just prayed. I'm not sure what purpose my prayer served. I wanted to see a life spared from death but it wasn't.
I have questioned the great mystery of prayer lately. Prayer is the one thing God gave us to do because we are so powerless. It truly is our only source of hopefulness. Do we have some influence on what happens in our lives I've asked myself? Doesn't God ultimately decide anyway? After pondering this question and talking with others I've come to the belief that prayer can change things. If...The big word that determines our destinies. "If my people which are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and turn from their wicked ways. I will heal their nation."
2 Chronicles 7:14 (paraphrazed) We make choices that infuence our lifes. God knows what those choices will be, even the prayers we are gonna pray. Since we don't see the big picture we often don't understand how our prayers/actions make a difference. Roger said that he once copied some scripture to share with his dad. What he didn't realize at the time was that he was copying those scriptures more for himself. He needed them later for inspiration and faith. We don't always see how things are gonna lead.
Prayer isn't just mindless repetions. Prayer is our communion with God, which means he is also communing with us. Alot of times during prayer and meditation we may hear God. Not an audible voice but a thought that we feel has come from God. He may speak to us about an unforgiven heart and bring someone to mind that we need to forgive. He may bring to mind a person that needs our prayers, love, support, he may convict us of a sin. Prayer is also a way to give God glory that he desevers. ACTS is a acronym for praying. A-Adoration, C-Confession, T-Thanksgiving, and S-Suplication. As in the Lord's Prayer "Our Father which art in Heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, forgive us our debts as we forgive our debtors. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. For thine is the Kingdom and the Power forever and ever. Amen." Matthew 6:9
I wish I knew all the great mysteries of God but "...For now we see thru a glass darkly, but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as I am known." 1 Cor. 13:11-13 I doubt that I'll always understand God's plan. I question whether my faith will sustain when God takes away: during the grief; the trials of this life. But I know without Him I'd have total hopelessness. As a friend of mine put it "What else do we have to do when we are in despair" There really are no atheists in trenches or ICU. I pray because "if" I can have some way to change things, I need to.
Jesus or Hopelessness.

No comments: