Sunday, April 28, 2013

Redo Ugly Door Mirrors

I had ugly mirrored closet doors that had a "brass" look.  If I replaced them with solid doors or screen panel doors it might of made my room seem smaller and would of cost a pretty penny too.  Also I have to admit, I like having such handy mirrors when I'm trying things on.  I was so tired though of the mirror doors and looked online for ways to transform them.  I could of took them down, taped off the mirrors and spray painted them.  However, I did this project when it was still too cold to spray paint outside.  
 
This is how they looked before




 
How I transformed them to this new modern white look~
 
1. I took and lightly sanded the door trim to "rough" the surface to hold paint. 
2. I taped off the mirror around the trim to keep paint off the mirror.
3.  I used some Kilz Semi-Gloss Interior/Exterior paint in white that I had left over from painting our son's room.  It said it was good on most surfaces including metal so I thought it'd stick well.
4.  I used a small sponge brush to paint it on and did at least two coats.  It does seem to be holding pretty good and I think they look much better!   I have to say my husband and I don't exactly abuse our closet doors.  We open and close them easily and no children use them.  I am not sure how well this paint would hold up to doors that have more wear and tear. 
 
 
 
I was ready to remove this fake wood framed mirror on our bathroom door.  Again I use the mirror and if I removed it I'd have to replace it as there would be screw holes in the door.  So I pondered on this a bit, not finding much online to help me transform it.  I finally decided to look at rick rack in the fabric section at Walmart to hide the wood frame.  I wasn't sure what would be available.  The rick rack was not wide enough.  So I then saw some reduced price wide ribbon (2.7 m) by the spool for a measly 50 cents.  I estimated that I needed about 10 feet of ribbon and since the spools had 3 yrds on them I was lucky to find 3 of the same cream colored, polyester textured.  (I did however, only used 2 rolls).  I also wanted an accent color.  Since my bathroom has blues and grays, I looked at those two color schemes.  And even though I had to pay full price I still got a spool of  18 ft for less than $2 in a steely gray.  This was slightly thinner at  7/8" 


First I measured and cut the wide ribbon.  Then using a hot glue gun I applied glue to the back of the ribbon and pressed onto the mirror.  This has to be done quickly as the glue dries quickly.  Just be sure to cover the mirror holders and try to lay ribbon evenly. 

I next cut the gray ribbon and hot glued it on top of cream colored ribbon carefully centering and running straight.  I did try and angle the corners to fit together which was kind of tricky to do by eye only.  It didn't match up exactly but was very close and I used hot glue to "seam" corners together.

This was the fun part.  I looked for things to hide my seams and found some buttons and jewelry pieces to hot glue on the corners then on the top of the mirror.  I think it turned out pretty shabby chic!

No comments: