Monday, January 28, 2013

Christmas DIY Basket

This year I decided I wanted to share some of my new Pinterest products and projects with some of my friends and family.  I made three of these baskets and even though it was a lot of preparation I enjoyed putting them together.  I've got good reviews on the sugar scrub, cinnamon honey butter spread and the leave in hair conditioner.  So here's a little peak of what I put into my baskets.  Maybe you will get ideas for next year!  I know I'm looking out for new gift ideas...

Sugar Scrub and Honey Butter Spread.  Ingredients for sugar scrub ~1/3 cup coconut oil, 1 1/2 cup sugar, red food coloring, few drops of peppermint essential oil, empty Starbucks bottle.
Mix coconut oil to sugar and add  essential oil. Divide and color 1/2 with a drop or two of red food coloring.  Using a paper funnel carefully spoon into an empty Starbucks bottle. (I spray painted the lids silver and put a round christmas label on top) layer the white and red and lightly pack each color with the end of an ice cream scoop, til u get a candy cane look. 
Add a nice label.  I put the ingredients on my labels. 
I got the free printable labels from http://blog.worldlabel.com/2012/christmas-labels-ready-to-print.html  I printed them on cardstock paper then laminated them with clear packaging tape on both sides of label then trimmed excess off. Punch a hole, glue or use clear packaging tape to protect them on glass or plastic containers.
Originally spotted through pinterest thanks to blog http://www.theidearoom.net/2012/11/peppermint-candy-cane-sugar-scrub.html

Ingredients for Cinnamon honey butter spread ~ 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 cup honey , 1 cup powder sugar and 1 cup butter
directions-  soften butter, add honey, mix with powder sugar and add cinnamon.
Spoon into short mason jars. Add pretty cloth to lid, tie a label with ingredients onto jar.  Originally spotted on pinterest thanks to blog http://tidymom.net/2010/cinnamon-honey-butter-gifts-in-a-jar/

This next project of pictures on a block of wood was not a complete success.  I think if I'd used untreated wood blocks, like my husband suggested, then the pictures would of possibly absorbed into wood better and looked clearer.  This was the wood we had on hand, so I used it.  This was an easy project also inspired by Pinterest and a really cute, super short video detailing the steps. http://youtu.be/_NjYbAAQ4vw

 






These seasoning blends were my own.  I also included handwritten recipes to go with the seasoning blends.  Add labels with ingredients and amt of servings.  Most of mine were 2 servings per recipe. 
1. Italian Seasoning ingredients ~ 1 3/4 tsp dried basil, 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano, 1 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper (x2 depending on jar size to double)
2. Ranch Seasoning Mix ~ 2 Tbs dried parsley, 1 tsp dried dill, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp dried basil, 1/2 tsp pepper (x2 depending on jar size to double)
3. Jerk Seasoning ~ 2TBS dried minced onion, 2 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 2 tsp ground allspice, 2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 cayenne pepper, 1/2 tsp salt (note to add 2 Tbs oil for marinade)
4. Taco Seasoning ~ 1 Tbsp minced dry onions, 2 tsp chili powder, 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp corn starch, 1 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper (x2 to double if needed to fill jars)



My own stain spray.  Adapted from others I found on the Internet this one works the best and it's right here in my own blog! http://lojdandelion.blogspot.com/2012/11/diy-stain-spray.html 
Add a label of ingredients so your friend or family can make their own!







Also I included my favorite homemade fabric softener that I mixed in an old bleach bottle that was rinsed well.  I removed labels and added a pretty fabric around middle which I attached with fabric glue.  Then I spray painted lid silver and added a label on front with the ingredients and instructions. 

3 Cups Hot water, Mix with 2 cups of fragrant conditioner (I like the VO5 Passion fruit and it's about 79 cents a bottle) and 1 1/2 cup of white vinegar.  Shake before using and use about 2 Tbsp in downy ball or softener dispenser on washer.  This was large so I didn't include in the gift basket but alongside.







I made some under eye cream in some small containers I kept.  The small short one was much easier to fill. 
The ingredients are 1Tbs Aloe Vera Gel, 1/2 tsp hemorrhoid cream (for eye puffiness) and a few drops of Vitamin E oil.  This I recommended being kept in refrigerator for extra cool soothing.  







I made some leave in conditioner that I found on pinterest.  It works really well and I was anxious for my friends and family to try it. 
Ingredients ~ 3 oz water, 1/2 TBS of extra virgin olive oil, and 1 oz of favorite conditioner.  Instructions for using this product to it's greatest potential is on this blog!   http://lojdandelion.blogspot.com/2012/07/hair-and-beauty-tricks.html










Easy no water snow globes. Save either glass or plastic jars. I spray painted lid, bottom and inside either gold or silver. I glued little plastic picture frames with picture inserted with hot glue onto lid. I also added some mini ornaments glued to top to look like they are floating.  I then used some fake snow that was also sparkly (so I didn't need glitter too) Put lid on and shake up. Some of the glitter/snow sticks to the sides of jar because of static. Really cute and easy.









These are two of the baskets I bought at a discount store for about $3 each.  I found some basket cellophane wrap and some pretty red shred too from a Michael's hobby store.  I added some store bought gifts like tea, lip balm, hair accessories, coffee mug, even a bottle of egg nog and some gift cards.  I had some pretty ribbon to tie it all together and added a nice ornament attached to the basket ribbon.

 My finished Basket!  I am pretty proud.
  










No comments: