Tuesday, August 28, 2012

What happens to people who never hear about God?



The question, what happens to people who have never heard about God was unanswered in my mind until today.  I read the story of the blind man that Jesus healed in John 9:35-41. Inparticular I was interested in the part of that Bible verse where Jesus said to the blind man "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains" The Bible tells us that God is a just God.  It would be foolish to believe that He'd judge a person who never knew about Him the same as someone who did.
No matter where we live we are born with a soul.  That soul has a longing in it.  As Eccles. 3:11 says
"He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end." 
However, some people refuse to accept what is in their very heart.  They drown out that yearning toward God.  Why?  The Bible defines why?  "God’s light came into the world, but people loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil. 20 All who do evil hate the light and refuse to go near it for fear their sins will be exposed"
I did this myself for at least 10 years of my adulthood.  I believed there was a God.  I did have skepticism.  But skepticism isn't unbelief.  I wanted to keep living my life in the dark because there were things in my life that were rebellious.  I believe that God didn't force Himself onto me but waited patiently as the father did with the prodigal son. (Luke 15:11-32) In time I chose belief.  And yes, you chose it.

No comments: