Monday, February 26, 2007

Standing for Something "Greater" in this life


"By the grace of God I am what I am." 1 Corinthians 15:10

Yesterday evening a beloved man, Clifford, from our church passed away. He and his wife were the greeters at our church. He met everyone with a smile and a hug. He wore fun and interesting ties, sometimes he work a pink dress shirt. If you told him "God Bless you" he would reply "He already has" He loved God and had a geniune walk with Jesus. (See quote by Clifford in my blog "You gotta have heart") I was listening to a "Country Gospel" CD in memory of Clifford this morning. He loved hymns and recently sang "Nothing but the blood of Jesus" in church. I remember growing up hearing so many of the old hymns. I know many of them by heart. I sang some with my mom in church as a child. If you've been raised in church or if you've had parents or grandparents who sang these old hymns you've probably been touched by one. This morning I was moved to tears by the hymn "Just a Closer Walk with Thee"

I am weak, but Thou art strong;Jesus, keep me from all wrong;I'll be satisfied as long as I walk, let me walk close to Thee.
Just a closer walk with Thee,Precious Jesus, hear my plea,Daily walking close to Thee,Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.
Through this world of toil and snares,If I falter, Lord, who cares?Who with me my burden shares?None but Thee, dear Lord, none but Thee.
Just a closer walk with Thee,Precious Jesus, hear my plea,Daily walking close to Thee,Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.
When my feeble life is o'er,Time for me will be no more;Guide me gently, safely o'erTo Thy kingdom shore, to Thy shore.
Just a closer walk with Thee,Precious Jesus, hear my plea,Daily walking close to Thee,Let it be, dear Lord, let it be."

I think that the older generation of christians are such an inspiration to me. Many of them have went through so much in their lifetimes. It has taken me many years to realize that the only way to keep your faith strong is to not falter in reading the Bible, praying and worshiping God. I've tried to live life on the fence. I've tried to have some of God and some of the world. But God never gave up on me. He still tugged at my heart. He draws me back time and time again.

My number one goal in life is to live my life as I've seen my dear friend Bonnie (who passed away December) and my christian brother Clifford. They have fought the fight, they have won the race. Hebrews 12:1"Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
2Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." KJV

I'd rather stand for something, than nothing at all.

1 comment:

Lorie said...

Lorie,

I just read your blog and I wanted to say I'm sorry to here about the
Gentleman in your church.
I have read what you wrote about him and I know how highly you thought of
him.

I also wanted to say, I agree about the Older Hymns. Just a Closer walk
with Thee, was one of the songs that my Dad and I would sing in Church
together. As I was reading the lines of the song, I was once again that
little girl, who loved Jesus, singing with her Dad. I like the new
Christian music, but there is something about the older ones that reach
down and touch that deep part of you. I remember my Dad playing his guitar
and singing Showers of Blessings to help us fall asleep or my Mom playing
The Light House on the record player when my Dad worked all night.
Listening to the song made everyone feel safe and peaceful because you
knew Jesus was watching over us.

I just wanted to share that with you and to tell you that I enjoy your
blogs. Keep up the good work!

Love Ginger