Thursday, February 06, 2014

Does God Hear My Prayers?



I wasn't very close to my in-laws for many years.  Partially because we didn't understand one another.  I could elaborate on all the misunderstandings but instead I'd like to fast forward to where God changed that.
In the year 2007, my mother-in-law got cancer and we watched her go through many hard things.  I didn't understand why God didn't heal her?  It was during this time, our relationship changed.  I ended up caring for her in ways I never expected to.  We became close and  Roger grew closer to her too.  We also grew closer to my father-in-law and were able to share God's love to him.
After Beverly passed away (it was a painful and at the time seemed like a long process) we became dad's only family.  He needed us.
We were trying to sell our house to move to the farm.  It wouldn't sell and we questioned why God didn't answer our prayer?  Two years later, Dad had open heart surgery and we found out his heart was very weak and damaged.  We had several times we thought something was wrong because he didn't answer his phone and drove frantically over to the house to either find him sleeping or just getting back from a DQ run.  Then last spring, Roger made that trip to find him dead from a massive heart attack.  Dad went how he always said he wanted to go, on his feet.  However, it was traumatizing for us.
Suddenly we had two houses and quickly decided to live on the farm.  Instead of going in debt for a new house, we are able to add on to the farm house.  We were getting to keep the family home and have our dream house.  Who would of seen that?
Our other house still wouldn't sell.  I didn't understand why God didn't let it sell?  We had these great renters, whom i just thought were meant to live there.  I even prayed for them as we packed up the house.  I prayed they would be blessed in the home we'd raised our family in.  People would look at our house but not put in offers.  Our renters didn't have the credit for a loan.  Then when we'd given up hope almost, our Realtor helped them establish credit and buy the house.  I'm happy that a family I knew got our house!
These are just a few examples of prayers that didn't seem to be answered but brought about something good.
We miss our parents.  Roger and I now have no living parents.  And even though it's a natural part of life to lose your parents, we lost 3 parents in 5 years, including my mom who lived 14 years with Alzheimer.  And I have to say it wasn't easy and it's still sad.  I just dreamed the other night of my mom dying and relived being with her as she struggled to breath her last.  And I know people who lose children and spouses must suffer more.  I haven't been in their shoes and can't imagine that pain.  I just know through our circumstances, God did bring good out of the bad.  I hope this is encouragement to anyone going through difficult times right now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your journey through some tough times. your faith inspires others. You are a good writer. Keep blogging.