Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Don't Go Ugly


"Charm is deceptive, and beauty does not last: but a woman who fears the Lord will be greatly praised." Proverbs 31:30 New Living Translation

"If you are ugly at 16, it's not your fault. If you are ugly at 90, it is." -Unknown

"Reflect self-confidence. If you want your children to feel valuable, you must feel valuable. Be your own best friend. Don't concentrate on physical appearance so much. The world does that for them!"- This was something I wrote for Jess' baby book.

I haven't always been a shining example of self-confidence. I've criticized things about myself to my family. However, something about maturing has made me appreciate what God has given me. Being a hair stylist I've always been aware of fashion and style. However, I've learned that I dare not compare myself with a model, celebrity, etc. I chose only to try and copy clothes, hair and makeup not size, shape, or appearance. After all, how many celebrities don't model self-worth? Many of them have addictive behaviors such as eating disorders, drinking, drugs, etc. If they valued themselves they wouldn't have these addictions. I think the most beautiful women reflect self-confidence and integrity. I've never begrudged a woman to try a little makeup and a new hairstyle. Otherwise I'd not have a job! But certainly those things don't make true beauty. There are people who are outwardly beautiful yet very ugly. I wish I could conteract all the negativity my children will ever feel about themselves. I just hope that they know that God is the healer of damaged self-esteem. Whatever has caused us to doubt our self-worth is not of God. For the Bible says "I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well." Psalms 139:13.

No comments: